The Threat of the Zika Virus and Your Traveling Employees
One of the most prevalent questions for travelers today is, "Am I going to be exposed to the Zika virus?" NC4 understands the importance of travel risk management and works with organizations as they contemplate decisions pertaining to travel risk exposure. The health and safety of your employees is a primary concern, and globalization has given a whole new twist to the ease of traveling across the world to meet with clients and address potential shareholders. Here are some travel tips for your employees as they embark on business commutes that may bring them within an area known to harbor
Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, which act as vectors for the Zika virus.
- The Centers for Disease Control has stated that although
Aedes aegypti has been formally sighted in the Caribbean and Pacific Islands as well as Central and South America, the likelihood it will travel to other countries and continents is likely.
- The World Health Organization has cautioned women who are pregnant to defer travel plans to areas where the
Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are active.
- Currently, no vaccine exists for the Zika virus. Only one out of five people who are carriers of the Zika virus show symptoms. Contact with the mosquitoes is the simplest manner to contract the virus, although direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of a person known to be infected with the Zika virus may cause the disease to spread. Transmission from an infected person through casual contact is highly unlikely.
- Employees with travel plans to areas known to harbor these mosquitoes may be able to attend the meetings via live feed computer or telecommunication in lieu of traveling.
- Informing employees of various methods of protection can alleviate tension. If meetings and social events are held inside, long sleeves and pants should be worn when outside along with the application of mosquito repellant, and mosquito netting needs to be used around beds, to better protect travelers.
- By adopting a proactive travel policy and being open and honest with employees, all parties will benefit.
NC4's Risk Center™ will enhance your company's ability to plan safe excursions worldwide for your employees. Contact one of our travel risk management specialists at 877-624-4999 for additional information. Learn more about travel safety, business solutions, corporate security, and more by reading our blogs.
Thanks for contacting NC4! A member of our team will be in touch with you shortly.