how to better protect your employees when traveling
While incidents may be few and far between, your employees take considerable risks when they travel, especially when they travel internationally. You have an obligation to protect your employees, and that begins with gaining knowledge of the potential risks so that you can properly plan for how best to minimize them. A good
travel risk assessment considers:
- Destination Research: Know your employees' destinations well, on a general level as well as details that pertain to specific employees, such as if an employee has a particular food allergy that aligns with the local cuisine or is more susceptible to an illness that is more common there. This is largely common sense, but it must be considered beforehand; you don't want to find out after the fact that an employee you sent to an industrial city in China had an asthma attack because of the air pollution.
- Risk Exposure: It's critical to know the travel risk implications for your company. The risk exposure brought with traveling employees and expats affects multiple disciplines across an organization, from Human Resources, to finance, to legal. It is important to educate and train employees so that they fully understand corporate policies and procedures well in advance of their travel, and any known travel risk has been disclosed to them and properly documented.
- Risk Monitoring: Risks are never static, and it is important to actively monitor global risk each and every day. Having an easy-to-use notification and communication system in place that enables communication either through email, text, or a GPS-enabled smartphone app, is critical to ensuring that you get vital information to the right people, when it matters most.
- How You React: Knowledge alone isn't enough. You must proactively do something with that knowledge. You need to have policies and procedures in place for virtually every scenario. During a crisis situation, you don't want to have to have a meeting to decide what to do with an employee who was injured on the job in Dubai; you want a policy in place that quickly provides a solution without delay.
NC4 Risk Center™
How can you be adequately prepared? NC4 integrates technology and resources around all-hazards information collection and analysis into its proactive risk management application, NC4 Risk Center. NC4 Risk Center enhances your capabilities in monitoring, analyzing, and responding to risks that pose a threat to your organization, including:
- Relevant, real-time risk information and intelligence to improve overall situational awareness
- Smartphone app with GPS-assisted tracking and alerting
- Weather-related information with ActivWeather to further enhance situational awareness
- In-depth analysis with Predictive Global Intelligence
- Additional services including ActivPoint, ActivTravel, Enterprise Incident Feed, and Historical Reporting and Analysis
For more information on NC4 Risk Center and travel risk assessment, contact us today at 877-624-4999.
Thanks for contacting NC4! A member of our team will be in touch with you shortly.